Dead Flowers

Well when you're sittin back, in your rose pink Cadillac Making bets on Kentucky Derby Day, I'll be in my basement room, with a needle and a spoon. And another girl to take my pain away -Jagger/Richards

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

The Album Sleeve

"Viva la vinyl. CD is like bad medicine."- Liner notes in Pearl Jam's Vitalogy
Replace Cd with MP3.

This post is not about the music, which is stored between the grooves. I don’t have to say it. The world knows that Country Life is one of the finest records of the 70’s.

This post is about the cover art. For me (and for many around the world) this album cover is piece of work. Pure & unadulterated GLAM. So very European. Pubic hair, lingerie, self stimulation and the bushes. Portraits like these remind you how important vinyl was to the art of designing covers (Can there be another Hipgnosis?). No one gives a shit about album covers in 2007. We have got iTunes. I recently read somewhere that iTunes overtook Borders Books & Music and Tower Records on the list of top music retailers. It is just a matter of time this trend gets popular in India too. End result: In a few years, album art will cease to exist altogether.

Country Life is a very popular album, and will remain so for decades to come. The fact is, no matter how careful I am, my CD would surely wear out by 2012 (it’s already a few years old). I’ll get the music. Sadly I’ll never get to see the girls.

I think I’ll start handling my album covers with a lot more care.
Note: Classic Hipgnosis album covers . Sample this- Scorpions' Lovedrive.

3 Comments:

At 4:19 PM, Blogger whitelight said...

FUCK YOU

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger woenvu said...

storm T. what a man.

and, his quality still hasn't dipped.

one of my fav album covers is Muse's Absolution. brilliant.

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger whitelight said...

He's a badass.

You can't argue over Floyd & Gabrial covers. But my favourite Hipgnosis album cover is T-Rex's Electric warrior. In fact my all time favourite. Without a doubt.

But their designs for some lesser-known bands have been just outstanding.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home