Dead Flowers

Well when you're sittin back, in your rose pink Cadillac Making bets on Kentucky Derby Day, I'll be in my basement room, with a needle and a spoon. And another girl to take my pain away -Jagger/Richards

Friday, December 29, 2006

Pitchfork

I thought I should write a bit about Pitchfork. I have been a long time reader of the publication after all.

Pitchfork is an on-line music magazine, focusing primarily on independent music (yeah! Everybody knows that). Lot of people detest it, lot of people love it. The biggest complain, however is that Pitchfork album reviews stress more on the writing style than on the music. I agree with that to some extent. But on the flip side, their reviews have helped a lot of bands too.

Talking about writers, yes they have some exceptional writers on their payroll. And sometimes they write awesome reviews. For example read this stunning review of the Beatles' Love.

10 Comments:

At 7:01 PM, Blogger antickpix said...

i agree, though at times, the writing does get on my nerves a bit. just a bit..esp. when brent dicrezenso (sic) used to write for them.

 
At 9:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy new year! Don't you think the Decemberists and Neutral Milk Hotel sound alike?

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger whitelight said...

Antick: Ah! Brent DiCrescenzo. I guess there is no point commenting about him. He’s been whipped enough.

However, what I could never understand was Pitchfork’s (rather Brent DiCrescenzo’s) review of St. Anger. Metallica are not signed to any independent label. And they definitely are not a major label band with indie sensibilities. Why the hell review their album then !!?? Gross misuse of one’s talent.

Dv: Oh! Yeah. There is a mild similarity. They have also been termed the “American Belle and Sebastian”. But I guess they are good enough to have their own separate identity

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger whitelight said...

And Happy new year to both of you.

 
At 6:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonder what happened to DiCrescenzo towards the end though.

If i recall, his last review was To the 5 Boroughs by the Beastie Boys, and some shit was stirred, apology issued and cleaned up review posted, and then he left..hmm.

Possibly, he likes Metallica, but just very disappointed by St. Anger. Still, agree with you.

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger whitelight said...

Guess he was tired of music journalism (or was he fired?). He dabbled with indie cinema after pitchfork, I guess.

Yeah, I guess he liked Metallica. He rated And Justice for all pretty highly while reviewing Think Tank.

If he had reviewed And Justice's reissue, it would have made perfect sense. But dissing St Anger was plain unpro.

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger whitelight said...

I feel Mark Richardson is one of their finest writers. Although, I have absolutely no clue about the majority of the bands that he has reviewed.

 
At 7:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

agree..Richard-san is probably one of my favourites.

Really like the Puritan Blister column too.

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger whitelight said...

I remember “Mark Richard-san” reviewing Jesus and Mary Chain’s Munki. Richardson/Richard-san? What is the issue?

 
At 5:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

think he's just trying to be cute and jap.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home