Dead Flowers

Well when you're sittin back, in your rose pink Cadillac Making bets on Kentucky Derby Day, I'll be in my basement room, with a needle and a spoon. And another girl to take my pain away -Jagger/Richards

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Ride

I am not a big fan of ‘Shoegaze/Shoegazing’. And that is precisely why, Psychocandy (1985), mighty (and probably the genesis of the genre) as it may be, is not my favourite Jesus and Mary Chain album. I prefer (and adore) the post- Candy JMC. Another band, which is sometimes wrongly classified as shoegazing, is Galaxie 500.

Talking of JMC and Galaxie 500 reminds me of Ride. A band I had totally forgotten about (last I heard was in college). And would not have gone back to if I had not found this excellent show done for John Peel . Ride’s music is a perfect mix of JMC and Galaxie 500. A Shoegazing band of my kind. I have downloaded ‘Nowhere’, and ‘Going Blank Again’ is next.

10 Comments:

At 6:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what do you think of MBV/Loveless?

agree with you though..after a point, shoegazing as a genre gets a little annoying.

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger whitelight said...

What can I say about Loveless. Just like PC, it a classic. But just like PC, I don’t listen to it much.

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger whitelight said...

Frankly, I prefer something like Ride. I dont know how I completely missed this band for so long.

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger whitelight said...

This show is pretty good.

 
At 11:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

whoa nice. you actually have a vinyl record player?

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger whitelight said...

TAP: Yeah, I have a turntable. Probably made sometime in 1980's.

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger antickpix said...

hmm...have to agree with you. been a while since i've listened to it (heh), but still swear by it.

have you heard the album 'Pink' by Boris?

that's my current obsession.

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger whitelight said...

Antick: Yeah, when I was in college, a lot of my friends too were just obsessed with Loveless and PC . I guess they still are. Those were cassette days, so one side was MBV and the other side was JMC.

Been reading about 'Pink' have not given it a try yet.

 
At 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Karen Dalton's lovely - a contemporary of Bob Dylan - very rocky, folksy, lovely music. With a voice that embeds itself into your brain.

 
At 12:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's been a while. i've been holed up in my room listening to venus in furs compulsively. i was sneaking through my friend's dad's records and found an entire collection of reed and cale VU , his father's a respectable man. but VU reminded me of you.

happy new year machan! how is the compulsive confessor?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home