Dead Flowers

Well when you're sittin back, in your rose pink Cadillac Making bets on Kentucky Derby Day, I'll be in my basement room, with a needle and a spoon. And another girl to take my pain away -Jagger/Richards

Friday, January 20, 2006

Women and Trip-Hop

Unfortunately, I could never really get into Trip-Hop the way it should have been. My exposure to the sound is restricted to just six albums (if one considers Everything But the Girl to be a Trip-Hop outfit).

Protection - Massive Attack
Mezzanine - Massive Attack
Dummy - Portishead
Temperamental - EBTG
Homogenic - Bjork
Medulla - Bjork

Four out of the six albums have female as the lead vocalist (Protection has Tracey Thorn as lead vocalist on 'Protection'). What is it that makes the genre fit in so well with the female voice?

2 Comments:

At 7:28 AM, Blogger antickpix said...

I think it's the kind of neo-noir feel that a vocalist such as Beth Gibbons lends to a track that makes it fit so well..

A new Portishead album has been rumoured. Hope it happens. While I'm not into Trip Hop as such (well, dip my toes in everything), Portishead and Massive Attack are two of my fav bands.

I'm terrible at genres, but the work of Goldfrapp should be investigated too (not sure if they qualify as trip-hop)

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger whitelight said...

yes, the gloom in the sound can best be put across by a woman's voice.

even if viewed from outside of the confines of a genre, Dummy & Mezzanine are two of the slickest albums of the 90s.

and that NYC live DVD. Beth Gibbons, with her smoke, is absolute fab. it's as tight as Dummy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home