Dead Flowers

Well when you're sittin back, in your rose pink Cadillac Making bets on Kentucky Derby Day, I'll be in my basement room, with a needle and a spoon. And another girl to take my pain away -Jagger/Richards

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Vinyl: The real thing

I love the sound of music on the old fashioned vinyl records. The music of the '60s & '70s (both Hindi and English) sound best (and purest) on LPs. The sound which is reproduced by CD's is just a bit too clean for classic rock. Music which we hear on CD's is not how it was recorded. The original sound was recorded in analog ( at least till the mid '80s) which is digitalised and pressed onto a CD these days.

I can't really recollect what prompted me to start collecting records (probably to hear how my favourite artists 'really' sounded in the studio). But over the years I have managed to get hold of some priceless records (the collection stands at 250 odd records, nothing special, but getting there). Apart from the music, the whole exercise of digging out second-hand record shops (in Delhi and Bombay, again Bombay scores way, way over Delhi), calling up obscure collectors and kabadiwallas, etc was (and is) great fun too.

And how can we forget the art of producing cult album covers. I believe it died with the demise of the long playing records ( 6" or 5" of CD can never match 12" of vinyl).

Now my top five 2 LP (double) albums from my collection:
1. Exile On Main Street - The Rolling Stones
I am a Stones freak. And this is very close to Let It Bleed.
2. Physical Graffiti - Led Zeppelin
It has got 'Down By The Seaside' and 'Custard Pie' and the album which I possess is the original 1975 pressing with the interchangeable window album cover. I think it is my favourite Zepp album too.
3. Bitches Brew - Miles Davis
This album split the jazz world right down the middle. Some called it the mutation of jazz, I call it the Trip. And McLaughlin's guitar playing is way beyond words.
4. Blonde On Blonde - Bob Dylan
I don't need to say anything.
5. The White Album - The Beatles
An example of how pressure brings the best out of some people. This was the beginning of the end of the empire called The Beatles. But can anyone figure it out by listening to the songs?

2 Comments:

At 1:22 PM, Blogger Anurag said...

I totally agree. I have never owned vinyl, but a cousin of mine was a big music fan in the 80s. He had lots of LPs.

A friend and colleague of mine in Chicago owns close to 1500 LPs. I went over to his place once and he let me pick and play whatever I wanted. Led Zep made more than one appearence.

I have been trying to get my hands on "bitches brew" for a long time, without success. I took your cue and bought a Chick Coria album. It's absolutely lovable. Thanks.

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger whitelight said...

Anurag- hey, let me first thank you for the acknowledgment. But "Bitches Brew" is there in the stores!! In fact, I picked up the double Cd (I only had the LP till 6 months back)from Planet M here in Bombay.

1500 records! now that is some collection. To brag a bit, I own every Led zepp album on vinyl (until that crazy sale, I did not own a single Zepp album on cd). Nor do I own any Stones or Beatles album on Cd (very snobbish, i know).

Corea . One of the greatest jazz pianist ever.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home